Friday, July 24, 2009

Back in the homeland

Yes folks, its true, I have returned to beautiful SA and have embarked on a four year specialization program in Emergency medicine. Its good to be back and near my friends and family, and work is going well, although it did take a bit of time to adjust my attitude and expectations back to the state health system here. Will write a more detailed post soon, but let me just say this:

Of all the things that amaze me the most about where I work now, this is the best: I am currently in the Medical emergency dept (ie, only medical emergencies, no trauma) of a tertiary hospital in the second biggest city in this country.... and our (only) ECG machine still uses those old school sucker attachement bits, you know the ones you have to use with that sticky blue jelly? No neat little ECG stickers for our patients. The other charming thing about this particular machine is that lead V5 (chest lead 5) doesnt work. So, if you come in with chest pain and happen to be having a lateral MI, unlucky for you. I think the thing that amazes me the most is the complacency with which these facts are accepted: by everyone including the consultants! Come on folks, this is not the middle of the bush somewhere! This is a tertiary, referral centre! Anyway. That is my little rant for today.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you start a fund to buy a new one? I'll send you £10...:-)

    ReplyDelete